Wednesday, September 5, 2007

U.S. (Ultra Sleazy) Window Factory

This story has a happy ending but I have to say that dealing with this company has not been fun. We canceled our contract in plenty of time but had to jump over hoops to get our money back. Essentially, we found better windows as a comparable price. Here is what happened:

- Sales Rep comes to the house and does well enough to convince us to sign a contract and put down a deposit.
- Sales Rep will match any price
- Sales rep does not have any collateral (brochures, etc.) for his product.
- Sales rep promises to send collateral
- We shopped around the next day and know that we made a mistake committing to the contract
- Sales Rep then reiterates that he will match any price
- Described to Sales Rep what I was looking for: Faux Wood Look, Collateral, and a little more time to make my decision
- Extends cancellation policy by one week - Kudos
- Collateral? "I never said I was going to send you that and it won't be available until October"- bad sign, since the windows would be installed in September.
- Asked him to show me some more options and the type of window I liked,
Sales Rep: "That would be more expensive"
Me: "If it's worth the money then I might consider it. (Described Windows)"
Sales Rep: "Those windows are for old houses, like the ones out on Long Island-- Not your modern house"
Me: (Dumbfounded) "I live in a hundred year old Victorian-- you don't think that is old"
- Needless to say we got the extension on the cancellation, but no follow up on those other "long island" windows
- Next Day we decided to Cancel for the following reasons: 1) Sales Rep lost all interest after the contract was signed 2) Didn't attempt to provide anymore information 3) Made a stupid assumption that "he" and only "he" knew what I wanted
- After the cancellation it took about 15 phone calls to get confirmation that my contract was canceled and that I would get my money back.

As they say in Brooklyn, "Oi Vey!"

No comments: